Official Congress Site Visits
A trip to Australia is not complete without visiting one of our world class TAFE institutes (alongside trying to spot a koala!). There are two types of official site visits available on Monday 8 October 2018 for delegates who hold full Congress registrations.
Site Visit Option A – Short Site Visits
These site visits, called short site visits, have been designed for those delegates who are also attending the pre-Congress Affinity Group workshops on Monday 8 October. The site visits will take place at the same locations as particular Affinity Groups to maximise the time that can be spent in both the visit and in the workshop. You can choose a site visit that is different to the Affinity Group Workshop location, as in most cases it is only a short walk or Melbourne tram ride between locations. Maps will be provided to those who need them.
A1 and A3 Short site visits run from 8.00am – 10.00am. A2 has 2 groups, one from 8.00-9.00am and one from 9.00-10.00am.
Short site Visits available are:
- A1 Bendigo Kangan Institute’s Automotive Centre of Excellence –Kangan Institute’s Automotive Centre of Excellence –Docklands supports the Automotive sector across Pre Apprenticeship and VETiS training, Apprenticeship Training, Industry Programs –Key Clients, Licenced programs and Post Apprentice training including short courses for the wider community.The site visit will showcase:
- Motorsports department
- Automotive Electrical Laboratory
- Vehicle emissions Laboratory
- Light Engines such as Outdoor Power and Equipment, Motorcycles and Marine Technology
- Automotive Parts Interpreting
- Heavy Vehicle and Agricultural equipment
- Light Vehicle, Body Building
- Automotive Body repair and refinishing disciplines.
The training provided at this site varies from Industry teacher centred models to competency based completion outcomes.
Meeting Point: Kangan Institute ACE, 1 Batmans Hill Dr, Docklands VIC 3008 – 7 minute walk from MCC
- A2 Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology (RMIT) Advanced Manufacturing Precinct – The Advanced Manufacturing Precinct combines RMIT’s expertise in technology and design innovation. RMIT is developing the next generation of engineers, designers and technicians, and working closely with industry both in Australia and internationally. Their vision is to be the leader in the implementation of the next wave of manufacturing in Australia.
Meeting Point: meet in front of the Ormond Statue next to Building 21, 124 La Trobe St, Melbourne– 15-20 minute Uber or taxi from MCC or 20 minutes by tram/walk (tram route 96 from MCEC Clarendon Street entrance, stop at Bourke St/Swanston St and then walk 8 minutes).
- A3 William Angliss Institute – a specialist TAFE for food, tourism, hospitality and events.
Meeting Point: Building A ground floor (main entry), William Angliss Institute, 555 La Trobe Street, Melbourne – 15 minute taxi or UBER ride or 25-30 minutes by tram/walk (tram route 96 from MCEC Clarendon Street entrance, stop at Spencer St /Bourke St (3 stops) and then walk 8 minutes).
Site Visit Option B – Long Site Visits
These site visits, called longer site visits, have been designed for delegates who are not planning on attending the pre-Congress Affinity Group workshops and would like to undertake a longer, more in depth site visit at a TAFE in suburban Melbourne. Buses will take delegates to and from the Melbourne Convention Centre to and from these longer site visits. Lunch will also be provided.
Long Site Visits currently available are:
- B1 All about Apprenticeships: Learn about apprenticeships at Holmesglen Institute’s Chadstone campus, where the Apprenticeship Employment Network will host a site visit that explores all elements of Australia’s highly successful apprenticeship system, including understanding how apprentices are supported and trained within a TAFE. (Bus transfers will depart from MCC at 8.30am and return at 1.30pm to MCC)
- B2 Welding and Cybersecurity: Weld Australia and Box Hill Institute have partnered to host a site visit that will show how Box Hill have incorporated welding simulators into their curriculum to support students undertaking study in this critical area.The site visit will also showcase Box Hill’s new Cybersecurity Operations Centre. (Bus transfers will depart from MCC at 8.15am and return at 1.45pm to MCC)
Additional long site visits may be added depending on demand.
Long site visits run from 9.00am – 1.00pm.
More details will be provided soon. To sign up for these site visits, start or amend your Congress registration now! Only signed up for a two day registration? Don’t worry, you can upgrade your registration at any time.